(Papers) IBPS PO Exam Paper - 2012 "Held on: 17-06-2012"
1. A money deposited at a bank that cannot be withdrawn for a preset fixed
period of time is known as a __________ .
(a) Term deposit
(b) Checking Account
(c) Savings Bank Deposit
(d) No Frills Account
(e) Current Deposit
2. A worldwide financial messaging network which exchanges messages
between banks and financial institutions is known as __________ .
3. Which of the following Ministries along with Planning Commission of
India has decided to set up a Corpus Fund of ` 500 crore, so that Tribals in
Naxal-hit areas can be provided proper means of livelihood ?
(a) Ministry of Rural Development
(b) Ministry of Home Affairs
(c) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
(d) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
(e) Ministry of Finance
4. Which of the following was the issue over which India decided to vote
against Sri Lanka in the meeting of one of the UN governed bodies/agencies ?
(a) Violations of human rights in Sri Lanka
(b) Allowing China to establish a military base in Indian ocean
(c) Issue of subsidy on agricultural products in the meeting of the WTO
(d) Allowing part of Sri Lanka to become an independent country governed by LTTE
(e) Sri Lanka's claim to become a permanent member of UN Security Council
5. The term 'Smart Money" refers to __________ .
(a) Foreign Currency
(b) Internet Banking
(c) US Dollars
(d) Travelers' cheques
(e) Credit Cards
6. Which one of the following is not a 'Money Market Instrument' ?
(a) Treasury Bills
(b) Commercial Paper
(c) Certificate of Deposit
(d) Equity Shares
(e) None of these
7. Which one of the following is a retail banking product ?
(a) Home Loans
(b) Working capital finance
(c) Corporate term loans
(d) Infrastructure financing
(e) Export Credit
8. Which of the following Statements is TRUE about political situation in
Mali, where a military coup burst out recently ?
(a) General elections were due there in March/April 2012 but did not take
(b) The country was under the control of US army since last 18 months
(c) Army of the country was not happy as Amadou Toure was made President without
elections for the next five years
(d) Coup broke out in Mali when Amadou Toure. the Military Chief got seriously
injured in a bomb blast
(e) NATO and its associates had planned a coup there
9. In the summit of which of the following organizations/group of Nations
it was decided that all members should enforce Budget Discipline ?
(c) European Union
10. As per newspaper reports, India is planning to use 'SEU' as fuel in
its 700 MW nuclear reactors being developed in new plants. What is full form of
'SEU' as used here ?
(a) Safe Electrical Units
(b) Small Electrical Unite
(c) Slightly Enriched Uranium
(d) Sufficiently Enriched Units
(e) Safely Enriched Uranium
11. Technological Advancement in the recent times has given a new
dimension to banks, mainly to which one of the following aspects ?
(a) New Age Financial Derivatives
(b) Service Delivery Mechanism
(c) Any Banking
(d) Any Type Banking
(e) Multilevel Marketing
12. When there is a difference between all receipts and expenditure of the
Govt. of India, both capital and revenue, it is called __________ .
(a) Revenue Deficit
(b) Budgetary Deficit
(c) Zero Budgeting
(d) Trade Gap
(e) Balance of payment problem
13. Which of the following is NOT a function of the Reserve Bank of India
(a) Fiscal Policy Functions
(b) Exchange Control Functions
(c) Issuance, Exchange and destruction of currency notes
(d) Monetary Authority Functions
(e) Supervisory and Control Functions
14. Which of the following is NOT required for opening a bank account ?
(a) Identity Proof
(b) Address Proof
(c) Recent Photographs
(d) Domicile Certificate
(e) None of these
15. The Golden Jubilee of Afro-Asian Rural Development organization was
organized in which of the following places in March 2012 ?
(d) Kuala Lampur
(e) New Delhi
16. What is the maximum deposit amount insured by DICGC ?
(a) ` 2,00,000 per depositor per bank
(b) ` 2,00,000 per depositor across all banks
(c) ` 1,00,000 per depositor per bank
(d) ` 1,00,000 per depositor across all banks
(e) None of these
17. The present Foreign Trade policy of India will continue till-
(a) December 2012
(b) March 2013
(c) March 2014
(d) June 2013
(e) December 2014
18. With reference to a cheque which of the following is the “drawee bank”
(a) The bank that collects the cheque
(b) The payee's bank
(c) The endorsee's bank
(d) The endorser's bank
(e) The bank upon which the cheque is drawn
19. In which of the following fund transfer mechanisms, can funds be moved
from one bank to another and where the transaction is settled instantly without
being bunched with any other transaction ?
20. What was the reason owing to which Enrica Lexie, an Italian ship was
detained by the Port Authorities in Kerala and was brought to Cochin port for
inspection and search ?
(a) It was carrying objectionable material
(b) It was involved in sea piracy
(c) It was detained as the crew killed two Indian fishermen
(d) The ship started sailing without making payments of iron ore it loaded
(e) It was detained as it was dumping nuclear waste in deep sea
21. Which of the following agencies/organizations recently gave 'go-ahead'
verdict to India's one of the most controversial project of inter linking
rivers? (some of the rivers are international rivers)
(a) UN Food and Agriculture Organisation
(b) World Meteorological Organisation
(c) International Court of Justice
(d) Central Water Commission
(e) Supreme Court of India
22. Who among the following was the Captain of the Australian Team which
played 4 Test matches against India in January 2012 and won all of them ?
(a) Ricky Ponting
(b) Michael Clarke
(c) Nathan Lyon
(d) Stuart Clark
(e) Andrew Symonds
23. The committee on review of National Small Saving Fund (NSSF) was
headed by __________ .
(a) Dr. C. Rangarajan
(b) Mr. U. K. Sinha
(c) Dr. Y. V. Reddy
(d) Mrs.Shyamala Gopinath
(e) Dr. Usha Thorat
24. Banking Ombudsman Scheme is applicable to the business of __________ .
(a) All scheduled commercial banks excluding RRBs
(b) All scheduled commercial banks including RRBs
(c) Only Public Sector Banks
(d) All Banking Companies
(e) All scheduled banks except private banks
25. The 5th Asian tndoor Athletics Championship was organized in February
2012 in __________ .
(e) South Korea
26. Nationalization of banks aimed at all of the following except
(a) Provision of adequate credit for agriculture, SME and exports
(b) Removal of control by a few capitalists
(c) Provision of credit to big industries only
(d) Access of banking to masses
(e) Encouragement of a new class of entrepreneurs
27. Who among the following was the Chief Guest at the threeday Pravasi
Bharatiya Divas function held in January 2012 ?
(a) Kamla Persad - Bissessar
(b) Ram Baran Yadav
(c) Lakshmi Mittal
(d) Salman Rushdie
(e) Benjamin Netanyahu
28. Which of the following banks is headed by a woman CEO __________ .
(a) Bank of Baroda
(b) HDFC Bank
(c) Central Bank of India
(d) Punjab National Bank
(e) ICICI Bank
29. As per revised RBI Guidelines, Provision on secured portion of loan
accounts classified as Doubtful Assets for more than one year and upto 3 (three)
years is to be made at the rate of __________ .
30. As per the provisions in the Food Security Bill - 2011, per month how
much food grain should be given to each person of the target group ?
(a) 5 kg.
(b) 7 kg.
(c) 9 kg.
(d) 10 kg.
(e) 20 kg.
31. Which of the following acts in vogue in India is against the thinking
of raising school fee as per demand of the market forces ?
(a) Prevention of Corruption Act
(b) Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Act
(d) Right to Education Act
(e) MG National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
32. Which of the following states has launched ‘Panch armeshwar Yojana’
under which panchayats are allowed to use the fund for developing infrastructure
and basic menities in villages ?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(d) Madhya Pradesh
(e) Tamil Nadu
33. Base Rate is the rate below which no Bank can allow their lending to
anyone. Who sets up this ‘Base Rate’ for Banks?
(a) Individual Banks, Board
(b) Ministry of Commerce
(c) Ministry of Finance
(e) Interest Rate Commission of India
34. National Table Tennis Championship was organized in January 2012 in
35. Who among the follwing is the author of the book 'Nirbasan'?
(a) Mahashweta Devi
(b) Taslima Nasreen
(c) Sunil Gangopadhyay
(d) Vikram Seth
(e) Kiran Desai
36. What is a Debit Card' ?
(a) It is a card issued by a Rating Agency
(b) It is a card which can be used for withdrawing cash or making payment even
in the absence of any balance in the account
(c) It is a card which can be used for withdrawing cash or making payment if
there is balance in the account
(d) It is a card which carries prepaid balance
(e) It is a card which can be used for making STD calls
37. Who among the following Indian Lawn Tennis player won a Doubles of
Australian Open 2012 ?
(a) Mahesh Bhupati
(b) Kamlesh Mehta
(c) Leander Paes
(d) Sania Mirza
(e) Achanta Sarath Kamal
38. 'Akula-11' Class 'K-152 Nerpa' was inducted in Indian Navy recently.
These are __________ .
(b) Radar System
(c) Submarines Missiles
39. Which of the following awards was conferred upon Late Mario De Miranda
(Posthumously) in January 2012 ?
(a) Padma Vibhushan
(b) Bharat Ratna
(c) Kalidas Samman
(d) Saraswati Samman
40. Bad advances of a Bank are called __________ .
(a) Bad debt
(b) Book debt
(c) Non Performing Asset
(d) Out of order accounts
(e) Overdrawn accounts
41. Axis Bank is a __________ .
(a) Public Sector Bank
(b) Private Sector Bank
(c) Co-operative Bank
(d) Foreign Bank
(e) Gramin Bank
42. By increasing repo rate, the economy may observe the following effects
(a) Rate of interest on loans and advances will be costlier
(b) Industrial output would be affected to an extent
(c) Banks will increase rate of interest on deposits
(d) Industry houses may borrow money from foreign countries
(e) All of these
43. Increased interest rates, as is existing in the economy at present
(a) Lead to higher GDP growth
(b) Lead to lower GDP growth
(c) Mean higher cost of raw materials
(d) Mean lower cost of raw materials
(e) Mean higher wage bill
44. Which of the following schemes is launched to provide pension to
people in unorganized sectors in India ?
(b) Jeevan Dhara
(c) Jeevan Kalyan
45. The 10th Basic Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change was organized in
February 2012 in __________.
(e) New Delhi
46. Finance Ministry has asked the Reserve Bank of India to allow common
ATM's that will be owned and managed by non-banking entities hoping to cut
transaction costs for banks. Such ATM's are known as __________.
(a) Black Label ATM's
(b) off site ATM's
(c) on site ATM's or red ATM's
(d) third party ATM's
(e) white label ATM's
47. Which of the following schemes of the Govt. of India has provided
electricity to 99000 villages and total 1.7 crore households uptill now ?
(a) Kutir Jyoti
(b) Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana
(c) Bharat Nirman
48. Ranbir Kapoor was awarded Best Actor Award in 57th Filmfare Award
Function for his performance in ________.
(a) No One Killed Jessica
(b) Stanley Ka Dabba
(c) 7 Khoon Maaf
(e) Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
49. An ECS transaction gets bounced and you are unable to recover your
money from your customer. Under which Act criminal action can be initiated ?
(a) Indian Penal Code
(b) Negotiable Instruments Act
(c) Criminal Procedure Code
(d) Payment and Settlements Act
(e) Indian Contract Act
50. Mr. Rajendra had filed a complaint with Banking Ombudsman but is not
satisfied with the decision. What is the next option before him for getting his
matter resolved ?
(a) Write to the CMD of the Bank.
(b) File an appeal before the Finance Minister.
(c) File an appeal before the Banking Ombudsman again.
(d) File an appeal before the Dy. Governor RBI.
(e) Simply close the matter as going to court involves time and money.
Answer Key :
1(a). 2(b). 3(b). 4(a). 5(e). 6(d). 7(b). 8(c). 9(e).
10(c). 11(b). 12(a). 13(a). 14(d). 15(c). 16(d). 17(b). 18(e). 19(a). 20(c).
21(e). 22(d). 23(d). 24(b). 25(d). 26(b). 27(a). 28(e). 29(e). 30(e). 31(d).
32(a). 33(d). 34(c). 35(b). 36(c). 37(a). 38(d). 39(a). 40(c). 41(b). 42(c).
43(a). 44(e). 45(d). 46(e). 47(b). 48(d). 49(c). 50(d).