Solved Paper: SBI Clerk Exam - 2008 General English (Held on 06-July-2008)
(Q. 41–45) Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The letter of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is (E). (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any)
41. Many multinational companies (A) / have not been as (B) /successful in India (C) /than we expected. (D) No error (E)
42. He has ruined (A) /his eyesight (B) /by not using (C) /his spectacles regularly. (D) No error (E)
43. Mostly of the (A) /newly recruited officers (B) /have no experience (C) /in the banking sector. (D) No error (E)
44. The resignation of (A) /one of our directors (B) /have caused the price (C) / of shares to fall. (D) No error (E)
45. There are many (A) /ways of which (B) /inflation can (C) /be measured. (D) No error (E)
Directions— (Q. 46–50) Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words are printed in bold to help you to locate them while answering some of the questions.
The yearly festival was close at hand. The store room was packed with silk fabrics. gold ornaments, clay bowls full of sweet curd and platefuls of sweetmeats. The orders had been placed with shops well in advance. The mother was sending out gifts to everyone.
The eldest son, a government servant, lived with his wife and children in far off lands. The second son had left home at an early age. As a merchant he travelled all over the world. The other sons had split up over petty squabbles, and they now lived in homes of their own. The relatives were spread all across the world. They rarely visited. The youngest son, left in the company of a servant, was soon bored and stood at the door all day long, waiting and watching. His mother, thrilled and excited, loaded the presents on trays and plates, covered them with colorful kerchiefs, and sent them off with maids and servants. The neighbors looked on.
The day came to an end. All the presents had been sent off.
The child came back into the house and dejectedly said to his mother, “Maa, you gave a present to everyone, but you didn’t give me anything !”
His mother laughed, “I have given all the gifts away to everyone, now see what’s left for you.” She kissed him on the forehead.
The child said in a tearful voice, “Don’t I get a gift ?”
“You’ll get it when you go far away.”
“But when I am close to you, don’t I get something from your own hands ?”
His mother reached out her arms and drew him to her. “This is all I have in my own hands. It is the most precious of all.”
46. Why did the woman's second son travel ?
(A) He was restless by nature
(B) He did not want to stay at home
(C) He was rich and could afford to travel
(D) His job was such that he had to travel
(E) None of these
47. Why did the woman’s eldest son not attend the festival ?
(A) He was not on good terms with his youngest brother who lived at home
(B) He had quarrelled with his mother
(C) His wife did not allow him to return home
(D) His job prevented him from taking leave
(E) None of these
48. How did the woman prepare for the festival ?
1. She bought expensive gifts for her children and neighbours.
2. She ordered her servants to prepare sweets and food well in advance.
3. She made sure that her youngest child was looked after so that he wouldn’t be bored.
(B) Only 1
(C) Only 2
(D) Both 1 and 2
(E) All 1, 2 and 3
49. What did the youngest child do while his mother was busy ?
1. He waited for a chance to steal some sweetmeats.
2. He pestered his mother to give him a present.
3. He stood at the door with servants.
(A) Only 1
(B) Only 2
(C) Both 1 and 3
(D) Only 3
(E) None of these
50. Which of the following can be said about the woman ?
(A) She was a widow who had brought up her children single handedly
(B) She was not a good mother since her children had left home at an early age
(C) She enjoyed sending her family gifts at festival time
(D) She gave expensive presents to show that she was wealthy
(E) She rarely visited her grand-children because they all lived abroad
Suggested Reading For SBI P