(Download) SBI Associated Clerk Exam Solved Paper (General
English) Held on: 16-01-2011 (1st Sitting)
Read the following carefully and answer the question given below it.
Certain words are printed in bold to help you to locate while answering some of
Once upon a time there lived a queen in the city of Benaras.
Her name was Khema and she was the wife of King Bahuputtaka. One night, the
Queen had a dream of a beautiful golden goose that spoke with great
wisdom, almost as if he was a sage. She told her husband that she desperately
wanted to see a bird just like the one in her dream. So the king asked his
ministers to find out all that they could about a bird such as this. He
was told that uch a bird did exist but was extremely rare and difficult to
find. They advised him to build a beautiful lake on the outskirts of Benaras so
that he may attract such rare and lovely creatures to reside there. In
this way the queen might have her wish.
Towards the north, on Mount Cittakuta, there lived about
ninety thousand wild geese headed by a beautiful golden goose called king
Dhatarattha. He got to hear of this exquisite lake surrounded by water lilies
and lotuses floating on the surface. The king had invited all the birds to
come and live on it, promising that none of them would ever be harmed.
Corn was scattered on a daily basis in order to attract the birds. So a couple
of geese went up to their King, the golden goose and told him that they
were quite tired of living up on the mountains and would like to see this
wonderful lake where they had been promised food and protection. The king
agreed to their request and took the flock down south towards Benaras.
Meanwhile, at the lake King Bahuputtaka had placed hunters all around in
order to capture any golden goose that happened to pass by. So the next
morning when the headhunter saw this flock of geese approaching he was vary
excited to see their golden leader. He immediately went about setting up a
snare amongst the water lilies and lotuses, as he knew that the leader would
definitely by the first to alight.
Q.1. Why were the geese keen on visiting the lake in Benaras ?
(1) They were invited personally by king Bahuputtaka.
(2) They were tired of their old lake.
(3) They were amused by the water lilies and lotuses.
(4) The lake was not very far from mountains.
(5) To lake was to be a source of good food and protection.
Q.2. Why did the king approach the ministers?
(1) In order to find out the best location for the lake.
(2) In order to find out if golden goose existed.
(3) To enquire about his wife’s dreams.
(4) To devise a plan to capture all rare bird species.
(5) To eniquire about the best hunter in the locality.
Q.3. What advise did the minsters give to the king ?
(1) That no such golden goose existed and he was only wasting his time searching
(2) To create an artificial golden goose for the queen.
(3) To build a lake in order to attract the golden goose.
(4) To open a sanctuary of rare birds for the queen.
(5) To have a beautiful garden surrounded by flowers and trees.
Q.4. Which of the following statement would best describe the qualities of
(1) Betrayer of the flock.
(2) The Selfless Goose.
(3) Loyal towardsthe King
(4) The naïve and ignorant goose.
(1) Only (A)
(2) Only (B)
(3) Only (C) and (D)
(4) Only (A) and (D)
(5) Only (B) and (C)
Q.5. What was the king’s intention behind building a lake ?
(1) To attract all rare species of living animals and birds.
(2) To beautify the city of Benaras.
(3) He did not want to go against the wishes of his life
(4) He wanted to capture the golden goose.
(5) He enjoyed bird watching and wanted to create a natural habitat for them.
Q.6. Why did the head hunter release the king, the golden goose.
(1) He was impressed by his wisdom and nobility.
(2) The geese were a rare species of birds.
(3) The golden goose, King Dhatarattha promised him a handsome rewards.
(4) The hunter sympathized with the golden goose.
(5) The hunter did not want the chief captain to lose a friend.
Q.7. Why did the flock of geese panic and retreat to Mount Cittacuta ?
(1) Their king took the wrong route to the lake and they lost their way.
(2) Their king, the golden goose was captured.
(3) Their king, th golden goose was captured.
(4) They spotted many hunters by the lake
(5) None of these.
Choose the word which is most nearly the same in meaning as the word
printed in bold as used in the passage.