IBPS (PO) Previous Year Exam Paper - 2012 "General Awareness"
IBPS (PO) Previous Year Exam Paper - 2012
Subject: General Awareness
101. A money deposited in a bank that cannot be withdrawn for a preset fixed period of time is known as a
(1) Term deposit
(2) Checking Account
(3) Savings Bank Deposit
(4) No Frills Account
(5) Current Deposit
102. A worldwide financial messaging network which exchanges messages between banks and financial institutions is known as
103. Which of the following ministries alongwith the Planning Commission of India has decided to set up a Corpus Fund of Rs 500 crore, so that tribals in Naxal-hit areas can be provided proper means of livelihood?
(1) Ministry of Rural Development
(2) Ministry of Home Affairs
(3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
(4) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
(5) Ministry of Finance
104. Which of the following was the issue over which India decided to vote against Sri Lanka in the meeting of one of the UN-governed bodies/agencies?
(1) Violations of human rights in Sri Lanka
(2) Allowing China to establish a military base in the Indian Ocean
(3) Issue of subsidy on agricultural products in the meeting of the WTO
(4) Allowing part of Sri Lanka to become an independent country governed by LTTE
(5) Sri Lanka’s claim to become a permanent member of UN Security Council
105. The term ‘Smart Money’ refers to
(1) Foreign Currency
(2) Internet Banking
(3) US Dollars
(4) Travellers’ Cheques
(5) Credit Cards
106. Which of the following is not a ‘Money Market Instrument’?
(1) Treasury Bills
(2) Commercial Paper
(3) Certificate of Deposit
(4) Equity Shares
(5) None of these
107. Which of the following is a retail banking product?
(1) Home Loans
(2) Working capital finance
(3) Corporate term loans
(4) Infrastructure financing
(5) Export Credit
108. Which of the following statements is TRUE about the political situation in Mali, where a military coup burst out recently?
(1) General elections were due there in March/April 2012 but did not take place.
(2) The country has been under the control of the US army for the last 18 months.
(3) The army of the country was not happy as Amadou Toure was made President without elections for the next five years.
(4) A coup broke out in Mali when Amadou Toure, the military chief, got seriously injured in a bomb blast.
(5) NATO and its associates had planned a coup there.
109. In the summit of which of the following organizations/ group of nations it was decided that all members should enforce Budget Discipline?
(1) G-8 (2) OPEC
(3) European Union (4) SAARC
110. As per newspaper reports, India is planning to use ‘SEU’ as fuel in its 700MW nuclear reactors being developed in new planets. What is the full form of 'SEU’ as used here?
(1) Safe Electrical Units
(2) Small Electrical Units
(3) Slightly Enriched Uranium
(4) Sufficiently Enriched Units
(5) Safely Enriched Uranium
111. Technological advancement in recent times has given a new dimension to banks, mainly to which of the following aspects?
(1) New Age Financial Derivatives
(2) Service Delivery Mechanism
(3) Any Banking
(4) Any Type Banking
(5) Multilevel Marketing
112. When there is a difference between all receipts and expenditure of the Govt of India, both capital and revenue, it is called
(1) Revenue Deficit
(2) Budgetary Deficit
(3) Zero Budgeting
(4) Trade Gap
(5) Balance of payments problem
113. Which of the following is NOT a function of the Reserve Bank of India?
(1) Fiscal Policy Functions
(2) Exchange Control Functions
(3) Issuance, Exchange and Destruction of currency notes
(4) Monetary Authority Functions
(5) Supervisory and Control Functions
114. Which of the following is NOT required for opening a bank account?
(1) Identity Proof
(2) Address Proof
(3) Recent Photographs
(4) Domicile Certificate
(5) None of these
115. The Golden Jubilee of Afro-Asian Rural Development Organisation was organized in which of the following places in March 2012?
(1) Dhaka (2) Tokyo
(3) Cairo (4) Kuala Lampur
(5) New Delhi
116. What is the maximum deposit amount insured by DICGC?
(1) Rs 2,00,000 per depositor per bank
(2) Rs 2,00,000 per depositor across all banks
(3) Rs 1,00,000 per depositor per bank
(4) Rs 1,00,000 per depositor across all banks
(5) None of these
117. The present Foreign Trade policy of India will continue till
(1) December 2012
(2) March 2013
(3) March 2014
(4) June 2013
(5) December 2014
118. With reference to a cheque, which of the following is the ‘drawee bank’?
(1) The bank that collects the cheque
(2) The payee’s bank
(3) The endorsee’s bank
(4) The endorser’s bank
(5) The bank upon which the cheque is drawn
119. In which of the following fund transfer mechanisms, can funds be moved from one bank to another and where the transaction is settled instantly without being bunched with any other transaction?
120. What was the reason owing to which Enrica Lexie, an Italian ship, was detained by the Port Authorities in Kerala and was brought to Cochin port for inspection and search?
(1) It was carrying objectionable material.
(2) It was involved in sea piracy.
(3) It was detained as the crew killed two Indian fishermen.
(4) The ship started sailing without making payments of iron ore it loaded.
(5) It was detained as it was dumping nuclear waste in deep sea.
121. Which of the following agencies/organiz-ations recently gave a ‘go-ahead’ verdict to India’s one of the most controversial project of interlinking rivers? (Some of the rivers are international.)
(1) UN Food and Agriculture Organisation
(2) World Meteorological Organisation
(3) International Court of Justice
(4) Central Water Commission
(5) Supreme Court of India
122. Who among the following was the Captain of the Australian Team which played four Test matches against India in January 2012 and won all of them?
(1) Ricky Ponting
(2) Michael Clarke
(3) Nathan Lyon
(4) Stuart Clark
(5) Andrew Symonds
123. The committee on review of National Small Savings Fund (NSSF) was headed by
(1) Dr C Rangarajan
(2) UK Sinha
(3) Dr YV Reddy
(4) Shyamala Gopinath
(5) Dr Usha Thorat
124. Banking Ombudsman Scheme is applicable to the business of
(1) All scheduled commercial banks exclu-ding RRBs
(2) All scheduled commercial banks inclu-ding RRBs
(3) Only public sector banks
(4) All banking companies
(5) All scheduled banks except private banks
125. The 5th Asian Indoor Athletics Champio-nship was organised in February 2012 in
(5) South Korea
126. Nationalisations of banks aimed at all of the following except
(1) Provision of adequate credit for agriculture, SME & exports
(2) Removal of control by a few capitalists
(3) Provision of credit to big industries only
(4) Access of banking to masses
(5) Encouragement of a new class of entrepreneurs
127. Who among the following was the Chief Guest at the three-day Pravasi Bharatiya Divas function held in January 2012?
(1) Kamla Persad Bissessar
(2) Ram Baran Yadav
(3) Lakshmi Mittal
(4) Salman Rushdie
(5) Benjamin Netanyahu
128. Which of the following banks is headed by a woman CEO?
(1) Bank of Baroda
(2) HDFC Bank
(3) Central Bank of India
(4) Punjab National Bank
(5) lCICI Bank
129. As per revised RBI guidelines, Provision on secured portion of loan accounts classified as Doubtful Assets for more than one year and upto 3 (three) years is to be made at the rate of
130. As per the provisions in the Food Security Bill 2011, how much food grain should be given per month to each person of the target group?
(1) 5 kg
(2) 7 kg
(3) 9 kg
(4) 10 kg
(5) 20 kg
131. Which of the following acts is in vogue in India is against the thinking of raising school fee as per demand of the market forces?
(1) Prevention of Corruption Act
(2) Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Act
(3) Sharda Act
(4) Right to Education Act
(5) MG National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
132. Which of the following states has launched ‘Panch Parmeshwar Yojana’,under which panchayats are allowed to use the fund for developing infrastructure and basic amenities in villages?
(1) Uttar Pradesh
(4) Madhya Pradesh
(5) Tamil Nadu
133. Base Rate is the rate below which no Bank can allow their lending to anyone. Who sets up this ‘Base Rate’ for Banks?
(1) Individual Banks’ Board
(2) Ministry of Commerce
(3) Ministry of Finance
(5) Interest Rate Commission of India
134. National Table Tennis Championship was organised in January 2012 in
135. Who among the following is the author of the book Nirbasan
(1) Mahashweta Devi
(2) Taslima Nasreen
(3) Sunil Gangopadhyay
(4) Vikram Seth
(5) Kiran Desai
136. What is a’Debit Card’?
(1) It is a card issued by a Rating Agency.
(2) It is a card which can be used for withdrawing cash or making payment even in the absence of any balance in the account.
(3) It is a card which can be used for withdrawing cash or making payment if there is balance in the account.
(4) It is a card which carries prepaid balance.
(5) It is a card which can be used for making STD calls.
137. Who among the following Indian Lawn Tennis players won a Doubles of Australian Open 2012?
(1) Mahesh Bhupathi
(2) Kamlesh Mehta
(3) Leander Paes (4) Sania Mirza
(5) Achanta Sarath Kamal
138. ‘Akula-11’ Class ‘K.-152 Nerpa was inducted in Indian Navy recently. These are
(2) Radar Systems
(3) Submarines Missile
139. Which of the following awards was conferred upon late Mario de Miranda (posthumously) in January 2012?
(1) Padma Vibhushan
(2) Bharat Ratna
(3) Kalidas Samman
(4) Saraswati Samman
140. Bad advances of a Bank are called
(1) Bad debt
(2) Book debt
(3) Non-Performing Asset
(4) Out-of-order accounts
(5) Overdrawn accounts
141. Axis Bank is a
(1) Public Sector Bank
(2) Private Sector Bank
(3) Co-operative Bank
(4) Foreign Bank (5) Gramin Bank
142. By increasing repo rate, the economy may observe the following effect(s):
(1) Rate of interest on loans and advances will be costlier.
(2) Industrial output would be affected to an extent.
(3) Banks will increase rate of interest on deposits.
(4) Industry houses may borrow money from foreign countries.
(5) All of these
143. Increased interest rates, as is existing in the economy at present, will
(1) Lead to higher GDP growth
(2) Lead to lower GDP growth
(3) Mean higher cost of raw materials
(4) Mean lower cost of raw materials
(5) Mean higher wage bill
144. Which of the following schemes has been launched to provide pension to people in unorganised sectors in India?
(2) Jeevan Dhara
(3) Jeevan Kalyan
145. The 10th Basic Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change was organised in February 2012 in
(5) New Delhi
146. Finance Ministry has asked the Reserve Bank of India to allow common ATMs that will be owned and managed by non-banking entities, hoping to cut transaction costs for banks. Such ATMs are known as
(1) Black Label ATMs
(2) Offsite ATMs
(3) On-site ATM’s or Red ATMs
(4) Third Party ATMs
(5) White Label ATMs
147. Which of the following schemes of the Govt of India has provided electricity to 99000 villages and total 1.7 crore households uptil now?
(1) Kutir Jyoti
(2) Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana
(3) Bharat Nirman
(4) PURA (5) SEWA
148. Ranbir Kapoor was awarded Best Actor Award in 57th Filmfare Award Function for his performance in
(1) No One Killed Jessica
(2) Stanley Ka Dabba
(3) 7 Khoon Maaf (4) Rockstar
(5) Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
149. An ECS transaction gets bounced and you are unable to recover your money from your customer. Under which Act can criminal action be initiated?
(1) Indian Penal Code
(2) Negotiable Instruments Act
(3) Criminal Procedure Code
(4) Payment and Settlements Act
(4) Indian Contract Act
150. Rajendra had filed a complaint with Banking Ombudsman but is not satisfied with the decision. What is the next option before him for getting his matter resolved?
(1) Write to the CMD of the Bank
(2) File an appeal before the Finance Minister
(3) File an appeal before the Banking Ombudsman again
(4) File an appeal before the Dy Governor of RBI
(5) Simply close the matter as going to court involves time and money